Saturday, March 6, 2010

Christianity and Writing- cool quote from Doris Betts


I love this because it perfectly summarizes my writing philosophy. It's long, but please read--- from my UNC professor, and dear friend, and amazing writer Doris Betts

"In this film and video age...some think that if Jesus had wanted us to take heaven seriously, he would have brought along snapshots instead of telling stories...but those stories taught us the power and magic of words. The Bible taught us metaphor ("I am the vine, ye are the branches") ...though I am not an overtly devotional writer, I agree with ... See MoreCharlotte Bronte's assessment of Christianity's effect on her work--'It went all through me and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind.'"
----from Doris Betts "Everything I Know About Writing I Learned from Sunday School."

No comments: