Tuesday, October 5, 2010

And darn it, it's better than my blog!

Of course, when I started this blog, I wanted to claim the title “The Year of Writing Dangerously” for myself, but since someone had claimed that title on blogger, I had to insert the ‘dawn-‘ in front of my URL name.

So I wanted to check out that blog, mainly --and I hate to confess this--to see how much cooler my blog was by comparison.

Well, that didn't happen.
I went to the other "writing dangerously" and low and behold, it rocks. And as much as it pains me to admit this in my self-absorbed insecurity, it is a heck of a lot better than this blog. In fact, I'm now a regular follower.

I actually encourage you to check it out, particularly since this guy/gal is messing around with micro-fiction [whoa!] I’ve found the shorter the story, the harder to write.

Regardless, Kudos to this dangerous writer and kudos to the other dangerous writers who comment on his blog. Rock on, dude.


NPR Contest

Okay, so I sent off the short, short, 600 word story to the NPR contest by the deadline. I went the metaphorical route with the “haunted” lines. The premise was to write a short story in 600 words that had to begin with the phrase "Some people swore the house was haunted" and end with "Nothing was the same again after that. "

I really hope that it is at least posted as one of the ones they like [fingers crossed] though after reading some of the scathing criticism others have gotten on the comments section of the site, I might want to rethink...
...nah, I still want to be selected. Let the cards fall where they may.

You can see some of the entries and the past winners at the website of npr.org

1 comment:

Danielle Rose said...

How did it go!? Interestingly enough, a friend of mine sent me HER submission to this contest for my critique. I hadn't heard about it before then, but I was happy to provide my two cents (what else is new) even though I didn't have an opportunity to write and submit anything for it myself. A 600 word story is hard stuff, though, right!?