Saturday, October 9, 2010

Following Kindle sales and the cult of JA Konrath

Okay, while I'm not JA Konrath [see his blog "A Newbie's Guide to Publishing" to get up to speed on context], In 2011, I am going to start following Kindle sales for the electronic version of my traditionally published first novel that is about to go out of print. I'm also going to start tracking my short story collection sales --but please bear in mind that I do think short story collections are harder to sell...but that is just IMHO.

Short 4-1-1, JA Konrath is a genre writer who has been making a butt-load of money on Kindle. A few caveats: 1) JA Konrath is a talented writer---or so I've heard, because I've not read any of his stuff but have read good things ABOUT them 2) He has a lot of books out and up on Kindle 3) He is working his butt off.

And maybe "cult" is a bit of a negative connotation for him. No offense intended.

None of this guarantees success, because like starting a fire, the conditions often have to be just right for it to occur.

I'm jumping "once more, into the breach" to just see what will happen.

I have published my short story collection [hint, hint, you can purchase it at the link on the right] just four weeks ago. I've made a total of $6. I'll try not to spend it all in one place. However, I must admit I've done next to nothing to promote it, and I'm hoping to get more serious about promotion in October---even if that means having a print version available as well because some of my "word of mouth" folks would not have access to a Kindle.

So...I'm going to track things here, if for no other reason, for personal accountability. Of course, I still have a day job [and very thankful for it] so while I do not have the luxury of a lot of time to dedicate to promotion, I also have the luxury of a regular paycheck. I'm not sure those are mutually exclusive, but I am sure that this is going to take a lot more work to remain to have a day dedicated for promos, one for writing...etc. etc.

No comments: